Saturday 7 May 2011

Invictus



I have just finished watching Invictus it brought back a whole host of memories it was the first rugby world cup I remember and I also remember hearing about Nelson Mandela and his release. The rainbow nation, doesn't it sound a bit like how the church should be, black and white, young and old joining together?

Watching the film was an inspiring reminder of what happened and what could have happened, I don't normally listen to audio books but when it is read by Desmond Tutu then it is always worth a look in the book was God has a dream. If you bring them together it paints a picture that hope can win through and that forgiveness is a potent weapon. What is the greater victory, annihilating your enemy or your enemy becoming your friend?

I like Clint Eastwood films, Million Dollar Baby, Grand Torino, and Flags of our Fathers/Letters from IwoJima he allows the characters to talk.

Finally here is the poem:

Invictus-
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
By William Ernest Henley (1849- 1903)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment you do not have to sign in to do so.