Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Road

Last night I watched the Road a film about a dystopian future, much in the vain of the Book of Eli or the slew of video games which abound. As always there is an attempt to ask questions of human morality in the face of survival, cannibalism or loving your neighbour?

Any road we travel on has choices, do we get somewhere at the expense of others? The film shows that survival and protecting what you value muddies the waters of morality even with some quasi-Christian idea "the fire burning inside". As a film it does what it says, it paints man's creation, which is a bleak one. The film didn't hold my attention the whole way through as though it is well acted it is ground that has been well trodden. Still worth a watch but not a light hearted Friday night choice.

I would agree with Peter Bradshaw's review that it fails to catch the full horror of the situation and it is true that it is far more graphic in Cormac Murphy's book. Though I would add I am not sure I would be ready for that film! Zombies are far less disturbing as they have been corrupted by some plague or other. Cannibalism on the other hand is a corruption of the person which is equally dehumanising but more frightening in my mind anyway.

2 comments:

  1. You're a braver man than me to watch a film like that. As for me, I do not need a reminder of the problems with the human condition, looking at what is going on around the world. If it wasn't for the mercy and forgiveness of our Lord, things could easily overwhelm you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment firefly. I think the issue for most people is that it is not themselves who have the issue but everyone else. S'i'n hits the nail on the head as it is putting me first. Just as you said the human condition is not a hopeless one but it requires people's centre to change.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment you do not have to sign in to do so.